Sunday, December 26, 2010

Music Memories

I just came  from a blog   http://www.sandramarie53.blogspot.com/          There was a picture of one of my first records, Have You Ever Been Lonely  b/w Snowbird....Brought back a lot of memories...I sang with  Harvey Thomas for quite some time on Friday and Saturday nights...The above two songs were requested many times each night..One  night I counted the number of times Snowbird was requested..seven..I made note  of this to the one who requested it...She replied  that she couldn't ask Anne Murray to sing it again but she could ask us... So after that we just sang  whatever the people requested no matter how many times requested in an evening...
I first met Harvey when we were coming  back from skiing...Our children wanted to stop for a hamburger so we pulled in to a  little restaurant and ordered up...My husband and I wandered over to the other end of a big room to see where all the music was coming from...There sat Harvey and his "Infernal Music Machine".  He saw us standing there and asked if I could  sing...I told him I could sing a little..So he said to come on up and asked if I knew several different songs...I told him which ones and he started to play..So I started singing..  He played a triple neck guitar i.e. six string, twelve string and I think the other was an eight string along with a foot bass and an automatic drummer...Really keeps  you on your toes to keep time...If you missed a beat you just waited and came in somewhere else..  It only took me a couple of songs to know where I stood...Met so many nice people going around to different places singing...private parties and clubs for weddings, birthdays, etc.  When we recorded Meet Me In Ponderay, all of the music was recorded by  Harvey at the same time, no  dubbing...For me, I sang the melody, went back and did one harmony, then back and sang a second harmony..  I called it the  "Kari Trio..Me, Myself and I"..   Meet Me and  Have You Ever Been Lonely were recorded at Wiley Studio in Tacoma, WA  with Bill Wiley at the console on a two track machine...We had a lot of fun doing the dubbing on the tracks...It is so much easier now with computers and lots of tracks to work with....The studios gradually moved up to  four track, then  eight  and on up...As I wrote once in a song..."Memories  are wonderful  things, locked in a treasury fold,  I wandered there all alone  then    Through my sweet memories gold....Yesterday's flowers were sweet,   Filled with the nectar of youth...Held in the sweetest bouquet there   in a dear innocent truth"  (copyright  1969   renewed  1997)        There is my trip down memory lane for today.....

No comments:

Post a Comment