Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Coupon Craze

     I am glad to see all of the couponing thereby saving money but I do  get a kick reading about the "new coupon craze."   "They" talk about it like it is brand new and "they" discovered it.. Well, they didn't.  "They" are not the first to do coupons.
     Years ago when coupons really first came out, in full bloom, a good share of the housewives realized how much they could save by couponing, so did.   We cut out all kinds of coupons from food to oil changes for the car,  movies, anything that helped stretch the paycheck.
     Along with that were the end-of-season sales at stores other than food stores.  I always shopped those sales...end of winter the winter jackets were half price.  So, with kids in tow, we hit the sales.   They tried on jackets until we found fits, then those were their winter jackets for the next winter.  We went to the store sidewalk sales, usually in the summer.  There I found pants, shirts,  pillowcases and lots more at fire sale prices.
     I saved boxtops and labels and sent in for things like monopoly games, clamp on roller skates, basketballs, baseballs dishes, silverware and anything else I could get that could be used by us or as gifts.  All free with boxtops, labels and coupons. (Betty Crocker coupons got to be a way of life ).
     So, while I understand their enthusiasm, I don't get too excited about it anymore since I've "been there, done that" my whole life.     But, do keep on couponing.   It still helps stretch the budget..

1 comment: